1 min read

Pool shock to Create Potable Water

Pool shock to Create Potable Water

Pool shock (Granular calcium hypochlorite). "The first step is to make a chlorine solution that you will use to disinfect your water. For your safety, do it in a ventilated area and wear eye protection. Add one heaping teaspoon (approximately ¼ ounce) of high-test granular calcium hypochlorite (HTH) to two gallons of water and stir until the particles have dissolved. The mixture will produce a chlorine solution of approximately 500 milligrams per liter. To disinfect water, add one part of the chlorine solution to each 100 parts of water you are treating. This is about the same as adding 1 pint (16 ounces) of the chlorine solution to 12.5 gallons of water. If the chlorine taste is too strong, pour the water from one clean container to another and let it stand for a few hours before use.

CAUTION: HTH is a very powerful oxidant. Follow the instructions on the label for safe handling and storage of this chemical." EPA

Measurement (Cheat Sheet)

  • Heaping teaspoon (approximately 1/4 ounce)  in 2 gallons of water.  Mix well. This is a strong chlorine solution (approximately 500 milligrams per liter).  
  • Chlorine solution - 1 pint (16 ounces) to 12 1/2 gallons of water.

The stores forever as long and water does not get to it.